Tuesday, August 21, 2012

UPDATE - Where are we at?

Right now the book is almost done.  I'm in the home stretch!  Hallelujah!  In total there are going to be 14 chapters, and I'm currently halfway through finishing the last chapter.  It should be done by the week's end.  Also, I figure I'll probably add an epilogue which will help lead into the next book (I've decided to make it a series).

As for editing, I like to think that I'm well along in that process.  I've pretty much been editing what I've written the entire time.  For example, last year I wrote the first 3 chapters.  I edited those chapters and rewrote them while writing the next few chapters.  When I left to go abroad I had finished 8 chapters.  While away I editied those chapters and rewrote them several times.  Basically, chapters 1 - 6 have been revised probably 5 or 6 times.  Chapters 7 - 9 revised about 2 or 3 times.  Chapters 10 - 12 only once.  And the rest I need to get to.  It's pretty evident since the first 6 chapters are decent - editorial wise - and then it slowly transforms into more and more grammatical dribble where I have omitted articles, inadvertently used the wrong verb tense, and even made up a new word.  I know, I got a bestseller on my hands. 

To be honest, I don't really like this system.  The actual writing of the book has been too sporadic and it's hard - at least for me - to find a rhythm after taking a writing hiatus.  However, given other circumstances and being out of the country, that's just the way it's worked out.  Next time I'd like to compile a completed manuscript before I begin picking through it.  Hopefully I will have invented more words by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment