Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First Plan of Attack - KINDLE!

So I'm not going to get too aggressive at the start.  I plan to put my work out there as an ebook first before setting it up for print-on-demand (POD).  Kindle has a program called KDP Select which I'm intrigued by.  Basically, when you upload your ebook through Kindle and enroll in the KDP Select program, Kindle has it exclusively for 90 days.  During this period you have 5 days to promote your ebook for free.  This is only to induce sales.  After the period is up you're free to distribute your book through other retailers.  For me, I think this may be beneficial for several reasons.
  1. The 90 day period of exclusivity will give me time to format the book for retail with other distributors.  I know with CreateSpace I'll have to do more design work for the back of the book as well as the inside jacket.
  2. Promoting the book for free will likely increase sales - even if I'm not technically making money - and gain exposure.  Perhaps there's a way to manipulate this feature.  Will have to look into that.
  3. I'll have more time to put together another promotional strategy for when the book is listed on Amazon, Kindle, Smashwords, Barnes & Nobles, etc.  Already have some thoughts which I'll share later.    
On second thought, I may not know what the hell I'm talking about.  Yeah, that's probably it.  But it's articles like this that perk my interest in the KDP Select program.  http://www.seanogle.com/entrepreneurship/increase-amazon-kindle-book-sales  However, this guy may very well be blowing a bunch of smoke up everyone's ass.  Hmm...

If you're an expert on Kindle - even a self proclaimed one - and just so happen to bump into this blog post, hit me up with suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment